Sunday, September 8, 2013

From One Little Seed

Sunflower 2013: Since taking this photo, more have
grown out of this one little seed. 
Epic fails in my life usually manifest themselves in the form of gardening/ harvesting veggies or flowers.

Not a bone in my body that I would say was that good ol' farming bone, much to the chagrin of my PA farm girl mama. :)

But every year for the past 4 years I have managed to grow sunflowers.  I am sure that there are several kinds of sunflowers. I could look that up, but I really don't know.

Here is what I DO know. I planted seven seeds. Our dirt in my area of the woods in MN is really sandy and where I plant the seeds first needs to be assisted by purchased black dirt.

Then here is my trick, I let the sprinklers water the area. Yeah, I am not a reliable water-the-flowers kind of girl.

So let me break it down for you:

1) Buy seeds
2) Add black dirt
3) Plant
4) Make sure the sprinkler system hits it
5)Wait and watch
6) Sprinkle miracle grow every now and then

This is what grew from just one seed. It was the only one of the seven seeds I planted that grew.

Sometimes, life is like that. We are seed planters. We do our best to cultivate the ground that we are planing in, we bring in the "good dirt" that would help the seeds grow. We plant seeds.

We will plant a great amount of seeds over the years spent as a parent or as a teacher on the hearts of those who have been entrusted to us.

This little flower from one seed was a nice reminder to me that I will never know the power of just one seed.This little seed must have deep roots.  Jonas Salk says, "Good parents give their children roots and wings. Roots to know where home is, wings to fly away and exercise what's been taught them." 

Providing a foundation of security and stability for my children in my home is just as the nourishment and stability of a plant depends on its root system. Human life is sustained and stabilized by its roots and I would also include that the classroom is as well.

So here is to seeds and deep roots because in the end, "It's easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."-- Frederick Douglass