Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Trying Too Hard?

www.iwantcovers.com 
I have always been a girl who has loved Amy Grant ever since singing, "Father's Eyes" or "Old Man's Rubble" with my hair brush jumping on my bed because I was an early 80's rock star when I pretended to be her.


And with the distance in the rear view mirror of life, I am thankful for another song from her lately, "Don't Try So Hard."

It kinda goes at first against everything that I am I keep trying..harder and harder and I push myself to the point sometimes of being just wiped out with a headache coming on.

I feel like I have to. Most of the things that I try is because I love being creative and I like trying out new ways of teaching old things and infusing technology. I can't just abandon my job and my love for it and my love for the students.

It goes against the idea that I always have had for myself and for others which is do not give up!

But I resonate with this song. Even though my life is busy and full and I love it...

I hear the words from my creator saying, "Ah, Kimi, girl, don't try so hard." I love you just the way you are.

"Don't try so hard 
God gives you grace and you can't earn it 
Don't think that you're not worth it 
Because you are 
He gave you His love and He's not leaving 
Gave you His Son so you'd believe it 
You're lovely even with your scars 


Don't try so hard"

I have the grace to make it through. I also need wisdom when to stop and slow down. Grace and mercy are unmerited favors extended to me and I don't deserve it but I am thankful.

I can extend this same grace and mercy to my students. Not that I don't have high expectations for them or their behavior, I do. Not that I don't have high expectations for their journey of learning..because I do. Grace and mercy in the classroom looks like this:

  • YOU MATTER. 
  • YOUR IDEAS ARE VALID.
  • YOU ARE UNIQUE AND WONDERFUL. 
  • Don't try so hard to be someone that you are not. BE YOU! JUST YOU.


It is the journey of learning in education that makes us beautiful as well as the entire journey of life.