Here is is, my goal for 2014, it goes with my only first grade rule. BE BRAVE. To that I will add BE STRONG and COURAGEOUS.
Be Brave, Be Strong and Courageous!
One way I do this is to figure out my verse for the year from scripture that keeps me centered. So, I will start with that.
Joshua 1:1-9 (MSG)
After the death of Moses the servant of God, God spoke to Joshua, Moses’ assistant:
“Moses my servant is dead. Get going. Cross this Jordan River, you and all the people. Cross to the country I’m giving to the People of Israel. I’m giving you every square inch of the land you set your foot on—just as I promised Moses.
From the wilderness and this Lebanon east to the Great River, the Euphrates River—all the Hittite country—and then west to the Great Sea. It’s all yours. All your life, no one will be able to hold out against you. In the same way I was with Moses, I’ll be with you. I won’t give up on you; I won’t leave you. Strength! Courage! You are going to lead this people to inherit the land that I promised to give their ancestors. Give it everything you have, heart and soul.
Make sure you carry out The Revelation that Moses commanded you, every bit of it. Don’t get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you’re going. And don’t for a minute let this Book of The Revelation be out of mind. Ponder and meditate on it day and night, making sure you practice everything written in it. Then you’ll get where you’re going; then you’ll succeed. Haven’t I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take.”
As I seek to further myself by studying Educational Leadership, I will make these action steps:
1) Embrace the truth around me be being very alert to others and their needs.
2) Lose the excess baggage. Dump the junk. Personally, that will mean something else. Professionally that means really focusing on things that matter. The heart of the student. I want to be willing and able to deviate from the routine of "doing school" and get better at cultivating learners which I would propose, is not the same thing. There are things that I have learned and still desire to do better like really teaching to how each student learns instead of teaching in a one size fits all method. I can always, always do better. I want to know how to create ILPs (Individual Learning Plans) for each student and to use them to help the student form their own learning journey instead of telling them HOW to do school. Give them more authentic ownership in their learning.
3) Walk in humility. I do know a lot about teaching, but I do not know it all. I am far, far from being the teacher that I want to be or the future principal that I would like to be. There is a lot of work to do in me and a lot of work I have to do! It is a continuous journey and not a destination! What I do know is that this love and passion for teaching and learning comes from the Father, my God and my job is to point it all back to him. For him to get the glory. I live to hear him say to me, "Well done, Kimberly...well done."
4) Seek excellent mentors. We look like who we hang out with. I hang out with amazing educators in my PLN and though I can't name each one, there are mind blowing amazing educators who have shaped me and molded me this past year. So instead, I want to say thanks to the PLN in the following hashtags/and learning opportunities:
- #iaedchat on Sundays at 8 CST
- #Colchat and #tlap on Mondays at 8 CST
- #mnedchat and #VidEd on Tuesdays at 8 CST
- #LivEdchat and #sbgchat on Wednesdays at 8 CST
- #arkedchat on Thursdays at 8CST
- #satchat, #satchatoc and #satchatwc on Saturdays
- #edcamphome and #edcamphome 2.0
Courageous: Casting Crowns
I have learned so much and I can't wait to learn more. So much to learn, so little time! Proverbs 31:25 says: "She puts on strength and honor as if they were her clothes.
She can laugh at the days that are coming". (NIRV) Laugh at the days to come. Full of joy. Full of strength and bravery and courageousness. Lofty goals, but thankfully, I have great friends and a PLN to help me!